How to make a video game
- Creating and rendering shapes, lines and text.
- How to make "sprites", and how to make them move using a game loop.
- Interactivity: using keyboard and pointer events.
- Collisions: how to check wether objects are bumping into each other, and how to react those collisions.
- Loading and playing sounds with the WebAudio API.
- Making buttons.
- How to build your own game engine: abstracting the engine, using plugins, and a strategy for seamlessly scaling your code.
- “Haiku”: an approach to building a high-level, minimalist API so that you can create games quickly with as little code and mental overhead as possible.
- Rendering with WebGL.
- Publishing games as apps and for the web.
This is detailed and highly practical talk for intermediate developers and literate programmers who want to jump into game development quickly using the latest technologies and best practices.