Ready for more DevOpsDays?
Culture and Deming
Facilitator: Lilibeth Dineros-Snell
Scribe: Jeff Gallimore
- Trying to break down silos
- Why was Deming successful in Japan and not here?
- Gladwell's "Power distance index"
- U.S. has an "I"-centric culture. Does that have something to do with it?
- John Wayne "cowboy culture" - anti working together?
- Worked in Japan because they were enduring a crisis in rebuilding
- Japanese culture - taking pride in their work
- Cultural differences in consequences of failure
- Did lack of resources in Japan drive innovation? Versus US where things are plentiful?
- "Necessity is the mother of innovation"
- Level of complacency in 50's in US - US was the big dog
- Baggage with Taylorism in US - hard to make the switch to new philosophy
- Benefit of "greenfield" in Japan