Ready for more DevOpsDays?
Facilitator: Dwayne Hoover and Christian Beedgen
container to monitor containers
newer releases of Docker - docker stats
what about logging
- all processes wiritng to syslog to one container
Correlation and aggregation - monitoring containers as you spin up the same image on a new machine
- is the same image a new monitoring stream?
- what about historical analysis
- one example using statsd, give the metric a prefix can then do historical analysis based on image name/tag/etc
Tying this back to the container host?
- Common practice to tracking by host?
- App monitoring w/ StatsD
- Host monitoring with something else
- Cloud watch
- Sometimes manual to tie these together
- Is it a big enough problem to start correlating the data?
- pain is growing
- hesitant to accept "if there aren't metrics, then it's not a problem"
ACS - amazon container service, anyone using it
- complaint that it isn't particular mature
- particularly around autoscaling
- detecting issues - spinning up new containers
- dedicate a number of ec2 instances to ACS
- what amount of ec2 do you want to dedicate?
- there is an API
- no real abstraction of the host information
Docker on elastic beanstalk
Anyone using something to orchestrate container deployment - any additional metrics available because of it?
- Marathon - used to run/schedule containers
- mesosphere - interested, but they haven't built anything
One metrics collecter per (parent) host
New relic launched docker monitoring
How does a container know where to direct stats?
- statsd agent w/ config for destination
Solve the problem with service discovery - think MX record/using DNS to direct
Sumo Logic uses ZooKeeper
Abstraction - statsD sends container logs
- meta tools/deployment tools map the destination to the build
- drop a single container, will monitor containers and attach to the log processes via docker control port
- docker control port mapped to a container is given "super root" and can run processes in other containers
- company called hitrust to enforce RBAC via API - perhpas Docker needs to implement something
- using environment variables to pass in stats location
What are people using?
- Sumo Logic